Information for terminal visitors
During private events the visitor platform is not open to the public. It may also be closed for setting-up before and dismantling after such events.
You can check whether the visitor platform is open before your visit by phoning the airport information desk on +49 351 881-3360.
Thank you very much for your understanding.
9 October: Grand art, antique and vintage market
Stand set-up is between 7:00 and 8:30 am. Open to everyone! To register for a pitch, phone +49 (0)351 4864 2443 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. A 3 metre pitch costs just €23.
- Books, antiques, glass, porcelain, second-hand household goods, records, small items of furniture, art, pictures, crafts and collectors’ pieces such as historic picture postcards of the region.
- Experts will be on hand to value antiques, antiquarian books and, of course, aviation-related collectors’ objects completely free of charge.
- Ground-level vehicle access for stallholders is available.
- Large food court with a “goulash cannon” (mobile soup cooker), crepes, ice cream, barbecue, beer garden and much more besides
- Large bouncy castle (outdoors)
Departures level (level 01)
- Toy, model railway and aircraft collectors’ fair
Conference level (level 2)
- Grand prize chess tournament
Visitor platform (level 03)
- “Görlitz – Auferstehung eines Denkmals” exhibition
- Wide range of second-hand children’s and family items
- Fun and games for kids
- Pitch tables are available for hire: 1.8 m tables cost €15, 3.6 m tables €23.
- 60-minute Mini tours (every 45 minutes between 10:30 and 16:30) start with a security and hand baggage check. Afterwards you’ll head out onto the apron in an apron bus to watch aircraft being handled and you’ll learn lots of fascinating facts about the history of the airport and the current destinations our planes fly to. Tours leave from the airport information desk. Special price for children up to age 14: €3, adults: €5 Max. 50 persons per tour.
- Three 90-minute tours (10:30, 13:00, 15:30) take in the German Meteorological Service weather station. Tours leave from the airport information desk. Special price for children up to age 14: €4, adults: €6. Max. 15 persons per tour.
- Places can also be booked in advance on tel. +49 (0)351 881 3300 or by emailing email@example.com.
- The fuselage of the legendary Baade B-152 will also be on display. This first ever German jet aircraft was made by the Dresden aviation industry in the 1950s.
- Arriving by car: please use the multi-storey car park. You can park there all day for a special flat rate of just €3.
- Arriving by public transport: take S-Bahn line S 2 from Dresden Central Station or Dresden Neustadt Station or bus route 77 (change to tram line 7 at Infineon-Nord).
30 October – 27 November: Airport on Ice
Try out your Biellmann spin, your double Lutz or Katarina Witt’s Carmen on Ice on the 200 square metre artificial ice rink in the west wing of the terminal daily from 30 October. Airport caterers ElbeZeit GmbH will be providing winter fare to keep your energy levels up.
- Mon-Fri: 14:00-20:00; Sat, Sun and public holidays: 10:00-20:00
- Children up to age 16: €4, adults: €5.50
- Skate hire: €3
- Parking in the multi-storey car park: €5
The ice skating spectacular will be heralded in on 30 October with a Pre-Halloween Party (10:00-22:00), including a Halloween disco (from 16:00), art and craft tables, face painting and pumpkin bowling. Other activities and specials at a glance:
- Mondays: student special – the first beer is free
- Thursdays: after-work party (17:00-21:00)
- Fridays: ice disco with DJ noir.man (19:00-22:00, €5 per person)
- Sundays: Family Day – €1 discount per person on skating; Maxi tour with visit to fire station on 6, 13 and 20 November at 16:30 (€6 per child up to age 14, €9 per adult, booking essential: tel. +49 (0)351 881 3300 or 881 3360 or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Test your skill and luck on a 20 m long curling rink. Book the rink for €40 for the first hour and €20 for every additional half-hour (up to eight people, call +49 (0)351 881 3360 to book). We’re also planning demonstrations and activities with clubs including the Dresdner Eislöwen Juniors, the Freitaler Pinguinen and the Dresden Ice-skating Club. Our first ever Airport on Ice ends on the weekend of 26/27 November with an Advent market.
5 November: Speed4 Championship Final 2016
From 28 October to 5 November, the Speed4 sports and exercise initiative (www.speed4.de) will be touring Dresden’s primary schools to measure coordination skills, reaction times and mobility on a training circuit. The grand 2016 Speed4 Championship Final in Dresden will take place on Saturday 5 November from 10:00 at this year’s final hosts Dresden Airport, offering primary school children another chance to put their skills to the test and excel in a spectacular setting. Admission is free.
10-27 November: Advent biscuit baking at the Christmas bakery
Calling all foodies and hobby bakers: come along to Bäckerei Heberer and bake and decorate your own Advent biscuits! And if you want to work off those extra calories afterwards, head straight for the ice rink and put your skating skills to the test.
- Thursdays to Sundays from 14:00 (approx. 2 hours, admission free)
- Special price for “Airport on Ice”, including skate hire: €5 for children up to age 14 and €7 for adults
- Please book in advance on tel. +49 (0)351 881 3680 or email email@example.com
13 November: Dresden Jazz Days
Two concerts are taking place in the Dresden Airport terminal during this year’s Dresden Jazz Days:
- 11:00: Swinging Airport – The Big Chris Barber Band
- 15:00: Family concert – Gunter Emmerlich, Yo Jazz Bigband, Micha Winkler, Dresden Bigband
Tickets can be bought in advance from the airport information desk.
Full details (artists, prices, directions) and tickets:
24/25 November, 1/2 December: Airport Games – giant Christmas and corporate event
This brand new event is designed for companies, clubs or other groups. The Airport Games will combine skill and dexterity with winter fun and are suitable for up to 10 teams of 10-20 people each. Perfect for company competitions!
The Airport Games will take place on the visitor platform in the Dresden Airport terminal, which was converted from a former aviation industry hangar in 1998-2001 and is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year. The industrial architecture will provide a setting for this moderated evening of activities that is unparalleled anywhere in Dresden.
This four-hour event will start with a sparkling wine reception. Then participants will put their dexterity and creativity to the test at six activity stations, ranging from baggage stacking to fishing for Christmas presents to a baggage trolley rally. An exciting buffet with finger food and beverages will be served to keep energy levels replenished. A further highlight of the evening is night-time shopping at Heinemann Duty Free.
- Available dates: 24 November, 25 November, 1 December, 2 December 2016
- Price per person: €79, including €15 flat fee for drinks
- Special price for parking in the multi-storey car park: €5 per vehicle
- Advice and registration: phone +49 (0)351 881 3010 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
24 December: Santa Claus lands at Dresden!
The Christmas Air jet from Lapland (flight no. DRS2412) packed full of Christmas presents lands in Dresden in the morning. Children can watch Santa Claus alighting from his plane and waving. Then it’s off to the visitor platform in the terminal where there will be plenty of fun and games, carols, poems and little Christmas gifts.
- Admission free
- Meeting point: airport information desk at 10:00
School holiday programme and special-event tours at Dresden Airport
What destination on our timetable is the furthest from Dresden? What does the yellow and black checked flag on the tarmac mean? How long is the runway? Our guides will be happy to answer questions like these on our popular holiday tours and at special events. Depending on our flight operations it will be possible to photograph and film aircraft taking off and landing. All tours must be booked in advance with the customer service department (German only): Tel. +49 (0)351 881-3300 or -3360 (weekends).
German Unity Day on 3 October
- Two-hour experience tours at 10:30, 13:00 and 15:30
- Security check, bus trip to watch aircraft being handled on the apron, introduction to handling and winter service technology, visit to airport fire station with impressive fire engine demonstration
- Special price: children up to age 14: €9, adults: €14
- Meeting point: airport information desk in the terminal
- Max. 30 persons per tour
4-14 October: Maxi tours in Saxony’s autumn school holidays
- 10:00 and 12:00 daily except weekends
- Duration: 90 minutes, max. 30 persons per tour
- Guided tour of terminal, security check, bus ride onto the apron to watch aircraft being dispatched, visit to fire station
- Price: children up to age 14: €6, adults: €9
- Meeting point: airport information desk in the terminal
- Other dates can be arranged on request
6 and 13 October: Weather station tours in Saxony’s autumn school holidays
- Tours start from the airport information desk at 14:00.
- Duration: 90 minutes, max. 15 persons per tour
- Visit to the German Meteorological Service weather station at the airport
- Price: €5.50 for children up to age 14, €8.50 for adults
30/31 October: Halloween experience tours
- Depart: 15:00 and 17:00 from the airport information desk
- Meeting point: customer services stand at the railway (30 Oct.), airport information desk (31 Oct.)
- Short walk round the terminal, trip onto the apron in a Halloween themed bus, brief stop-off at the winter and ground services appliances hangar
- Visit to fire station (pumpkin target spraying, demonstrations of fire engines such as the Panther)
- Children are given a small goodie bag after the experience tour.
- Tickets: €13 for children aged 3 to 14, including goodie bag, adults €15
- Tour guides will also be in fancy dress
- Duration: 2 hours
- Max. 45 persons per tour
27 November, 4/11/18 December: Advent airport-by-night tours
- Depart: 16:30 from the airport information desk
- First stop: mulled wine, punch and Christmas biscuits at the Conference Centre
- Followed by a Maxi tour taking in the Winter Service appliances
- Duration: 2 hours
- Tickets: children up to age 14: €9, adults: €14
- Max. 30 persons per tour
6 December: St Nicholas Day experience tour
- Starts: 15:00
- Short tour of terminal and security check, ride out onto apron in apron bus to watch aircraft being handled and see winter service appliances, visit to airport fire station
- Sweet St Nicholas treat for every participant
- Tickets: €10 per person
- Max. 30 persons
- Duration: 2 hours
Fireman Sam to the rescue: the highlight of the tours is a visit to the fire station.
Guided tour of the modern Dresden Airport terminal
Travel talks by Diamir Erlebnisreisen
Together with Diamir Erlebnisreisen and our caterers ElbeZeit, we’re putting on a series of exciting travel talks that are guaranteed to spark your wanderlust. The food on offer will match the subject of the talk.
- 7 November 2016: The Silk Road (speaker: Markus Walter)
- 5 December 2016: USA – the West (speaker: Wolfgang Röller)
- 9 January 2017: Spitzbergen and Greenland (speaker: Jörg Ehrlich)
- 6 February 2017: Botswana (speaker: Jörg Ehrlich)
- 13 March 2017: Australia (speaker: Markus Walter)
Travel Talks flyer [PDF file; 1.1 MB, German only]
Times, prices, service
- Venue: LuftRAUM event space on the Conference level (terminal level 02)
- Doors open: 18:30, start: 19:00
- Advance tickets from SZ-Ticketservice: €17.35 including advance booking fee
- On the night from the airport information desk: €15
- Ticket price: including welcome drink and parking in the multi-storey car park (get your entrance ticket discounted at the airport information desk)
- Book in advance by emailing email@example.com
- Service phone line: +49 351 881-3360
Events at the airport’s cafés and restaurants (ElbeZeit GmbH)
Our gastronomy partner ElbeZeit GmbH, a subsidiary of Sächsische Dampfschiffahrt, looks forward to seeing you at the following events in 2016:
- Brunch with airport tour: 30 Oct, 13 Nov
- Tea dance: 21 Oct
- Cookery courses for children: 5 Oct, 12 Oct, 28 Dec
- Cookery courses for adults: 4 Nov, 18 Nov
Seminars on combating fear of flying
Dresden Airport has got together with psychologist Linda Föhrer to offer seminars on combating the fear of flying. Participants learn to overcome their fear of flying, practice different relaxation techniques and find out information on the technical and physical background to flying. Each group consists of up to 8-10 people.
The seminar is also suitable for anyone who is afraid of heights, suffers from agoraphobia or has a fear of travelling by train or car. Linda Föhrer has become well-known throughout Germany as a specialist in fear of flying following various TV programmes on relaxed flying.
The following dates are planned for 2016:
9 October and 27 November, 10:00-18:00
The price per person for the one-day group seminar is €275. The seminars will take place at Dresden Airport. Places must be pre-booked at
"Görlitz - Auferstehung eines Denkmals” exhibition
Dresden-based photographer Jörg Schöner has been documenting the many outstanding buildings in the old town of Görlitz for 40 years, covering the apparently unstoppable decline followed from 1990 onwards by a historically unprecedented rebirth of a town brimming with listed buildings. The renovation of the architecture dating back many hundreds of years injected new life into the town on the German-Polish border. The photographs in Jörg Schöner’s exhibition, on display at the Dresden Airport terminal, document the enormous changes that have taken place over the past 26 years. The patron of the exhibition, the title of which means “Resurrection of a Monument”, is the Minister President of the Free State of Saxony, Stanislaw Tillich. Admission is free.
- Visitor platform: until 12 October
- Departures level (public area and security area): until 18 November
The book “Görlitz – Auferstehung eines Denkmals” is published by Deutsche Stiftung Denkmalschutz and is available from:
Exhibition: STASIS and MOVEMENT, the peace before the flight
Thomas Reichstein presents his figurative, life-size sculptures embodying “inner peace” at various points throughout the Dresden Airport terminal. A particularly interesting example is the life-size “Das Liegende Paar” (The Reclining Couple). Other works include abstract mythical creatures that also appeal to children.
The Dresden-based artist explains his intention thus: “The airport is a place where the journey pauses, is put on hold. You set off full of vigour at home, get to the airport, check in and drop off your baggage. And then, once you have completed all the formalities, you experience a unique phase of relaxation. You can stroll around, meditate or enter into a dialogue with artworks.”
Until 21 October 2016: “Angling in Saxony” exhibition
This fascinating exhibition by the Association of Saxon Anglers (LVSA) is all about angling as a hobby. The association explains its work and answers questions like: What do anglers do? How do you become an angler, and where can you go angling? Why should you join one of Saxony’s 600 clubs?
- Departures level, public area
- Admission free, open 24/7
Full details on the work of the LVSA: